Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tuesday+Wednesday

I am now officially a Capitol Staff Tour-giver.
Look! I got a certificate!
Also, a pin!
I got a flash drive too, which is actually really nifty--leather with the Capitol on it--but didn't take a picture.
In other news, Jason was quoted in a presentation at his office today (the quote was from a report he wrote about the Tarahumara Indians for one of the staff members).
After lunch today I attended the impeachment initiation for a federal judge. Apparently only 15 judges have been impeached, so it was a pretty singular experience. All of the Senators were in attendance, which was really neat (though I wish I recognized more of them). Since it was St. Patrick's Day, most of them were wearing green ties or sweaters, which I thought was nice. If we can rally around St. Patty's Day, why not health care?! :) On my way down the Capitol escalator, I ended up behind John McCain.
Last night and tonight we had delicious curry (another simmer sauce from Trader Joe's because we can't find curry paste here. Otherwise I would definitely make it from scratch...) and jasmine rice.
This evening, we walked from our apartment to the Lincoln Memorial. Thanks to Daylight Savings, we actually have some light after I get home from work, which has already been glorious. The moon was just a sliver tonight, and the Washington Monument was so bright in the reflecting pool. It was absolutely beautiful; we are so lucky to live within walking distance.
My parents arrive tomorrow, but I don't think we will actually get to see them until Friday. Too bad.
Tomorrow is my office capitol tour-giving test. While the Capitol Visitor's Center believes I am qualified to lead around tour groups of up to fifteen individuals, my office requires that we pass a test first. Hopefully it will go well--I have been studying the leadership for the two houses of Congress and now know that Utah's first two Senators were Frank Cannon and Arthur Brown.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Amanda. I know you'll do well tomorrow. Sounds like it was a romantic night....were any pictures taken?
    Have a great time with your parents...will you be able to give them a tour?

    ReplyDelete