Friday, February 19, 2010

Rubbing Shoulders with Utah's Elite

We went to a reception this evening for Governor Herbert. He's in town for a governors conference, so Utahans in the D.C. area got together for a little soiree.
First of all, the party was in the Kennedy Caucus Room in the Russell building and it was just beautiful. We tried to get some good pictures, but they do not do justice to the room. It's stunning.
Governor Herbert said a few words and introduced Utah's Cherry Blossom Festival Princess. Who knew we even had a Cherry Blossom Princess?! Not me. I guess every state selects one, who then represents the state at the festival in April.
Here we are with Governor Herbert. After his remarks, we went up and talked to him for a few minutes. He was very nice; he asked about where we were from and how our internships were going. When he heard I was from Utah, he asked what my maiden name was. It turns out he knows my Uncle Derek!
Jason Chaffetz also spoke and we were able to talk with him afterward. He was also very friendly. I was very impressed with both of them.
The party was really really nice. There were servers walking around with trays of hors d'oeuvres (which were mighty tasty), a table of self-serve food, and a drink-pourer. Most of the servers were from Bolivia, so Jason got to speak to them in Spanish for a few minutes.
This picture is pretty blurry, but the guy at the podium is Governor Herbert and the guy with black hair and a blue tie is Jason Chaffetz. The only female: the Cherry Blossom Princess.
Here's the ceiling of the room. It's really high (Jason estimates thirty feet, and I agree) and is held up with gorgeous pillars. The Senate sure knows how to decorate.Here's what I get to see every night on my walk home. The picture makes the Capitol feel a little far away, but when you're there, it feels incredibly close. In real life, it's more blue than the picture makes it look; I love how the yellow light stands out against the night sky.
This is by the Russell building rotunda. When you see Senators being interviewed on the news, they are usually standing in this rotunda. It's very pretty.
Here's another view of the Russell rotunda.
Jason took this picture, which I think is awesome.

I can't figure out how to make this picture flip around (even though I already flipped it in iPhoto). Anyway, it is the glorious Gummy Tummies Penguins that Jason bought for me the other day. Yum! I think the penguins on the package are funny.
We aren't quite sure what we're up to tomorrow. I think we'll go to the Capitol with our neighbors so yours truly can practice Capitol tour-giving skills. We may hit a museum or two afterward. Adios!

2 comments:

  1. jason chaffetz, in a show of bipartisanship i voted for him. i actually interviewed him back in the days when i was a journalist, and he is exceptionally nice. And he leg-wrestled steven colbert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat that you are in DC! I love that place. Is this a long term thing or are you just doing internships? Thanks for the blog invite:)

    ReplyDelete