Sunday, January 10, 2010

Christmas in January

I'm sick of trying to get these pictures to go in the right order, so these first two are an exciting preview of what is to come if you scroll down. This is a picture of the Capitol (obviously). Judging from its high quality, the photograph is obviously Jason's handiwork. This is the inside atrium of the Old Post Office Pavilion, which I wrote about yesterday.
Roni noted (accurately) that I write a lot about what we eat. Sorry readers, but today I'll continue that pattern AFTER a recap of our church-going experience.The DC 3rd Ward is fantastic and always interesting. Today we were called to be Primary workers! The primary is not very big, so our class should feature a range of ages. I guess we'll see when we teach for the first time next week. Because church was canceled right before Christmas (all that snow...), we had the ward Christmas program today for sacrament meeting. This makes three Christmas programs we've enjoyed in the past six weeks, which I think may be a new record. Everyone did a stellar job and I enjoyed celebrating Christmas in January.
Last week we heard about the ward's notorious second-Sunday munch and mingles. After sub-par experiences with munch and mingles in singles wards, I was wary, assuming we'd "munch" and then come home and fix a real meal. I was wrong!
There was a vast array of food, including tons of turkey, really delicious yams, and a couple of West African dishes that I hadn't tried before but turned out to be tasty. The food was served cafeteria-style, and after a few dishes, I was convinced my plate was full and went to sit down. The ward members in charge of serving informed me that there was still room on my plate, and proceeded to scoop on spaghetti, stuffing, a roll, and more vegetables right on top of my other food. I should've taken a picture; I don't think I have ever seen a more loaded plate. We were ridiculously full and didn't eat dinner until just a few minutes ago.
I've got some pictures from yesterday to post, so here goes.
Another one of Jason's remarkable pictures. Cool lighting, in my opinion.
This is a picture from the concert we attended at the Kennedy Center a couple of days ago. The Verizon Center (where the basketball game was held yesterday). I took this fifteen minutes or so before the game began. By gametime, the seats had completely filled in. We try so hard to take good pictures of ourselves, but none of them turn out. In this one, my hair has a strange greenish tint. Weird.Jason pondering basketball.The game--as I noted yesterday--was pretty intense. If you look at the scoreboard, this photo was taken with about a minute remaining. The Huskies didn't score again, but those darn Hoyas did. I'm still a little iffy on what a Hoya is exactly, but the Georgetown mascot is a bulldog. Anyway, final score: 72-69.We had one of our Washington Seminar friends take this photo of us at the top of the Old Post Office tower. Great view of the city, but a little cold.
Well, that's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I like Jason's picture of the Monument. Good lighting!

    ReplyDelete