Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Election Night

It seems like everyone in Washington is worked up about the Massachusetts special election tonight and the Frosts are no exception! Since we do not have a TV (unless you count the communal one downstairs...which I don't), we have been watching periodic updates on the New York Times website. As of right this second, Brown has 52.8% with 60% of precincts reporting. Thrilling.
Today was a great day for Jason and a predominantly good day for me. I experienced one major gaffe at work that, while not jeopardizing my illustrious senate employment, left me absolutely humiliated. This morning, I was assigned to run some stuff down to the Senator's car. I had received very specific instructions about where the vehicle was parked, and had the key, which was attached to one of those fob things that unlocks the car remotely. Well, I approached the car and clicked the little "unlock" button on the fob. Nothing happened. At this point, I began to question my ability to operate the fob; after all, Jason and I have to unlock our car doors by hand! Perhaps I was incapable of operating possibly the simplest piece of technology the modern world has to offer. I continued clicking the button with no discernible result. Growing frustrated, I decided to unlock the car by hand. As I put the key in the ignition, the car alarm started. It was very loud, very annoying and, since this is DC we're talking about, attracted three security guards (who didn't help, by the way. They just stood around and glared at me suspiciously. Yeah, the girl with the suit and the intern badge is just going to waltz in and commit grand theft auto right under the nose of the United States government. I don't think so). I tried canceling the alarm with the useless fob and--when that didn't work--opened the door and pushed a button on the steering wheel. This, of course, turned on the radio. Thankfully, another security guard sitting in a giant black Escalade next to me advised me to put the key in the ignition, which stopped the alarm. I sheepishly returned to the desk, grateful none of my colleagues had wandered into the parking garage that morning.
That was probably the most exciting thing that happened to me today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment