Saturday, January 23, 2010

White House Tour!

We went on a tour of the White House this morning!! It was awesome. We couldn't take any pictures inside, but I have gathered some from the internet for your viewing pleasure.
This is the East Room.
This is the Green Room.
Here's the Red Room (Jason's personal favorite).
This is the Blue Room. It's also where they put the White House Christmas tree. The State Dining Room. This was probably my favorite room.
The tour was great. Our guide was actually a member of the Secret Service. I had no idea that giving tours was part of their job. It was neat to think that we were walking around in places that are still used by the President and First Lady.
There were some really neat works of art along the tour, including a John Singer Sargent painting that I really liked and JFK's presidential portrait. We also got to see the Kennedy china. Sadly, you have to go on a separate "Executive Tour" to see any of the West Wing, but we saw it from afar. We'll have to make friends with some White House staffers.
Afterward, we went to the White House gift shop, which was kind of disappointing and then came home to our igloo for lunch. I don't know what we're going to do for the rest of the day, but it's a little chilly outside too.
A little later in the day...
We hear sirens all the time at our apartment and I was thinking that perhaps we live in a crime-ridden area. Then, I looked out the window when I heard sirens today and realized that since we're on Pennsylvania Avenue, we just have a lot of motorcades going by. I like that explanation much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment