Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wednesday!

It's about 8:51 pm here in the district. The evenings here go by very quickly. Tonight we had taco soup for dinner (taco seasoning courtesy of our local Trader Joe's), then spent some time in Georgetown. Tomorrow is the last day of our workweek (hurrah!) and then we'll have briefings on Friday. Saturday: Georgetown vs. UConn. We are excited!
Highlights from today:
1. I got to go on a tour of the Capitol building in preparation for leading my own tour groups. It is such a beautiful building! My favorite part (besides the rotunda, which naturally has to be my favorite part because it is so stunning) was probably the old House chamber. I liked the old Senate chamber too, but the House chamber has this cool acoustic thing where you can whisper at one end of the room and be heard at the other end AND there are little plaques in the floor identifying the desk locations of noteworthy House members (i.e. Abraham Lincoln). Plus, Utah's Brigham Young statue is in the old House chamber. Go cougars!
2. Jason updated the IAF webpage and wore the same sweater as one of his co-workers (but in a different color).
3. I heard the Senator playing the piano in his office (the walls are very thin).
4. Did I mention we are going to the Georgetown vs. UConn game? :)
5. This is technically a highlight from last night, but we went to a really awesome restaurant yesterday. It is called El Pollo Rico and is at the Virginia Square metro stop. It's a Peruvian rotisserie chicken place, so there are like thirty chickens on rotating spits behind the counter. You choose a whole, 1/2, or 1/4 chicken (which is literally a whole, 1/2, or 1/4 chicken hacked in pieces right in front of your eyes), french fries, and coleslaw. The chicken also came with two sauces that I couldn't really identify, although in retrospect, I think one was green chile.
Shoot, I really wanted to find a picture of the food at El Pollo Rico, but cannot download one from their website. If you feel inclined to investigate this savory fare, visit www.ilovethischicken.com. Such a clever url.
6. While the Senate is in recess, I get to wear jeans to work. If only I had known this before taking casual clothes out of my suitcase the day we flew out.
Well, that's all for now! We are having a blast! I can't believe we have been in the city less than a week; everything feels surprisingly comfortable (even though last night I was really disoriented in the metro and tried to convince Jason that we should travel on the OTHER train, which would have actually taken us out to Fall's Church...I thought I had everything figured out).

1 comment:

  1. Did you ask to have all the masonic symbols in the Capitol pointed out?

    We're on to them.

    ReplyDelete