Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Déjà vu!

Today I went on a tour of the Capitol. Again. This would be tour #3. I kind of feel like I'm going for a record or something. It really is a fantastic building, though. I recommend it to anyone.
Jason has been writing a paper about a project his office funded back in 1986 and it is really interesting! A group in Colombia noticed that the mentally ill in Bogota were pretty disenfranchised and suggested opening up two stores (a laundromat and bakery) and a halfway house to help rehabilitate and reintegrate the homeless/mentally ill. I'm really not doing the project justice, but it is fascinating. It sounds like his office does really important/interesting/good work!
Today the interns in my office (the "Hatchlings," so-called) were assigned to our official departments. I am working with the chief of staff, scheduler, legislative director, and administrative director. I'm not 100% sure of what exactly I'll be doing yet, but today I got to use Excel and my Outlook account.
My gloves arrived from Utah yesterday, so my hands have been toasty warm all day. Thanks Mom!
Frosts: We ate some of the soup you brought us and it was very tasty!
One more worthwhile piece of Capitol trivia: Each state is allotted two statues for display in the Capitol (37 of which are in Statuary Hall, with others scattered about in hallways, the crypt, the visitor's center...basically anywhere they can squeeze them in). Utah's two statues are of Brigham Young and Philo T. Farnsworth (although the Idahoans claim he was actually from up north instead of the Beehive State). Connecticut is represented by John Trumbull (painter) and Roger Sherman (signer of the Constitution).
Dad: Guess who represents Nevada. Sarah Winnemucca. I smiled when I saw that.

2 comments:

  1. You are our favorite "Hatchling"! We are excited for you both and love hearing about your adventures. Can't wait for President's Day weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a picture with the Winnemucca statue when Jason and I went on the capital tour over Christmas. It's where we stop when we drive to California. Is it wierd that I didn't know the town was named after a native american? I just neve thought about it before. Now I'm going to have to read about her.

    And Jason's family took a picture with Philo. He is in their family tree, although not direct ancestor.

    ReplyDelete