Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lazy Saturday



We had great intentions to go to a museum today, but didn't get around to it. In the morning, we went grocery shopping at Trader Joe's and Safeway. Tomorrow we are going to have baked macaroni and cheese, about which I am pretty excited.
For Christmas, we received a book called 24 Great Walks in DC. The past few weeks have been too cold to walk, but today the temperature reached a balmy 50 degrees! We chose the first (and closest) walk in the book, which took us though Georgetown and up to Washington Harbor. Beautiful!
I took this picture of the Lighthouse Cafe for Grandma Pullan because I know how much she loves lighthouses!
The Kennedy Center from Washington Harbor. I guess they offer free tours of the Kennedy Center, so we'll have to take advantage of that sometime.
We spent a while browsing at the Georgetown Barnes and Noble. This observation will make me sound like a country bumpkin, but it seems like there are escalators EVERYWHERE in this city! There are escalators in Barnes and Noble! I guess from an economic standpoint that just means that the price of land is higher than in Utah, where many businesses are just one level. I have enjoyed the profusion of escalators, particularly the amazing Target shopping cart escalator. The wonders of modern technology never cease to astound me.
We ate dinner in Arlington at Panera (delicious!) and had some Cold Stone ice cream for dessert. I think now we're going to watch an episode of The West Wing Season III and one of Jason's old roommates may stop by.
I almost forgot! When we were walking toward the Metro station exit, we noticed a cute little boy (maybe four years old) walking with his mom. The little boy was trying to read a map while they stepped on the escalator and dropped it. He shrieked and reached for it, but the map was stuck at the bottom of the escalator, just out of reach. The mom ran down the up-moving escalator and grabbed the map and ran back up to her son, who was delighted to have his map back. I thought the whole thing was really cute! It reminded me of good women (including my mom and mother-in-law) I know who would do anything for their kids. I want to be a mom like that someday!!
We're excited for church tomorrow. We haven't been set apart yet and don't have a manual or anything, so I don't think we'll have to actually do anything in Primary tomorrow, but it will be fun to see how it works; it's been a loooooooooong time since either of us have been in Primary!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love cute endearing mom stories. In Italy, I once saw a dad wearing his little girl's pink backpack as he was holding her hand and walking home from school and it was very heartwarming.

    Also, I have heard much of this Panera from people of the East. Is it really everything they claim it to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Panera too. I hear they have good breakfast, so go there sometime and let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete